Welcome to Colwyn Bay! Enjoy your stay! Witness the wonderful town that once was.
The dream for the people of Colwyn Bay was the Restoration of the Pier. This was a beacon of hope for the town, but now with it's destruction looming, its demolition goes against the public's wishes. This town has nothing left to give, or fight for. It's just another example of another loss to a once Loved town who's glory years have long since faded.
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Colwyn Bay - Who killed our cats? Cat killer sought.
A COLWYN BAY man is warning cat owners in the Dundonald Road and Park Road area to be on the lookout after a suspected spate of poisonings in the past six months.
Iwan Barton, 25, said his young family had been left heartbroken after their pet cats Indie and Lola both died of antifreeze poisoning in the space of nine weeks.
Mr Barton also said that three other cats had suffered a similar fate in the past six months, and urged fellow Colwyn Bay residents to contact the RSPCA with any information relating to the incidents.
He said: “We took Indie to the vet, but they said that once a cat’s been poisoned, they die 80 or 90 per cent of the time.”
“Nine weeks ago, I came home to find my other cat dead. She was only one and a half.”
“It’s been really hard, I was up for 11 hours with her. We have two kids, and it’s been awful having to tell them what’s happened. My eight-year-old has come to terms with it, but my two-year-old keeps asking where Lola is. She’s very upset.”
“It’s malicious people who do something like this. If you don’t like an animal, just stay way from them, there’s no need to act like this. I hope that anybody who has heard someone bragging about poisoning cats reports them to the RSPCA.”
Antifreeze contains a toxin which has lethal consequences when ingested by cats, but is often attractive to felines due to its sweet smell.
An RSPCA spokesperson said: “This cat would have suffered terribly in what the vet has confirmed as a case of antifreeze poisoning.
“It may be that there is an innocent explanation for its death but it is also possible that there are people out there who deliberately sought to cause suffering.
“We would also ask perpetrators to be aware that deliberate poisoning using antifreeze could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.
“Owners should be vigilant and contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. The sooner the animal is treated, the better their chances of surviving.”
At the early stages, a cat will suffer stumbling, lack of co-ordination, dizziness and vomiting. Between 12 and 24 hours after ingestion the animal will breathe more rapidly, suffer kidney failure and will eventually end up in a coma. If anyone has any information about this incident or any related incidents in the area, they are urged to contact the RSPCA cruelty and information line on 0300 1234 999. Calls will be treated in confidence.