Friday, November 29, 2013

Colwyn Bay: Arsonists torch camper van

Colwyn Bay: Arsonists torch camper van

Fire spread to nearby car and flat

Hadyn Iball
Campervan fire in Colwyn Bay
FLAMES leapt from a burning camper van to a nearby car and flat after arsonists struck in the early hours of this morning.
The Honda Acty - which contained a gas cylinder - was engulfed by fire and left completely gutted.
The incident happened at the back of a row of properties in Hawarden Road, Colwyn Bay just after 3.53am.
It was the second early morning attack within the space of 50 minutes after a caravan was set on fire at the rear of a property in John Street, Rhyl - but today police said the incidents are not connected.
Gareth Edwards and his partner, Julie Lewis were left counting the cost of losing their beloved camper van.

Gareth said: “I was asleep in bed when all of a sudden, I heard a loud bang but I didn’t think anything of it, with it being Bonfire Night.
“Then all of a sudden, my neighbour started banging on my door to tell me my camper van was on fire.
“I quickly got dressed and ran outside and I couldn’t believe what I saw.
“It was parked around the back of the houses on Hawarden Road near my auntie’s, and the flames were raging so much that it spread to her car and was touching the guttering of one of the properties.
“The was also a gas cylinder inside the van - it’s lucky it didn’t explode.”
The couple bought the vehicle last year and have spent 12 months doing it up.
It emerged that their insurance ran out three days ago and now face a bill for the cost of having the charred shell recovered.
The 27-year-old added: “It wasn’t worth a lot of money, but we put a lot of time and effort into fixing it up and we have had many happy memories camping up and down the country in it. It’s such a shame that this has happened.”
A North Wales Police spokeswoman said: “We received reports from the fire service about two vehicle fires in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
“The first was in John Street, Rhyl and the second was in Hawarden Road, Colwyn Bay.
“The two fires are not being linked.
“Police are now investigating both incidents.”

No comments: