Saturday, August 2, 2014

Colwyn Bay - Four awaiting sentence after Colwyn Bay station brawl

Four awaiting sentence after Colwyn Bay station brawl

Published date: 01 August 2014 | 
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporterEmail reporter

PASSENGERS arriving at Colwyn Bay railway station had to be diverted away from the main exit as four people grappled in the ticket hall, a court heard.

Two women struggled to separate their partners as they rolled around on the floor as passers-by watched.

Magistrates in Llandudno were shown CCTV footage of the incident which spread from the station forecourt into the hallway.

The two men, Chad Antony Clemson, aged 23, of Vicarage Lane, Rhuddlan, and Nathan Taylor, 21, of the Rothesay Hotel, West Promenade, Rhos-on-Sea, both admitted a charge of affray and, in adjourning sentence three weeks for pre-sentence reports, chairman Sandra Ogden-Jones, warned them that custodial sentences had not been ruled out.

Gemma Leigh Hart, aged 21, of Lindum Close, New Brighton, Mold, whose baby lay in a pram nearby as the fight took place, admitted a public order offence and her case was also adjourned for sentence and the second female, a 17-year-old from Bury, pleaded guilty to common assault on Hart.

She will be sentenced in the youth court.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson said trouble was triggered on the evening of June 25 when a bottle was thrown towards Taylor and Hart later admitted she was responsible.

The two men squared up to each other and Clemson was punched at least 15 times.

In the subsequent fracas in the ticket hall Clemson kicked Taylor to the stomach and during the melee Hart was bitten on the head by the 17-year-old.

Mrs Jackson said while the men were grappling with each other two trains arrived at the station and passengers were asked to leave via the night exit.

In a police interview Taylor said he had acted in self-defence after the bottle had been thrown at him.

Paul McAlinden, representing Hart, said she had been drinking and didn’t know why she had thrown the bottle.

While acting as peacemaker she had been set upon by the 17-year-old.

Graham Parry, for Taylor, who had several previous convictions for violence, said he had learning difficulties and that the argument between the former friends had been “over very little”.

Gwyndaf Parry, representing Clemson, said he suffered brain damage following meningitis as a child and there were mental health issues.

The three adults will be sentenced on August 21.

No comments: