Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Colwyn Bay - Thug jailed for life after 'vicious' Colwyn Bay attack

Thug jailed for life after 'vicious' Colwyn Bay attack

Published date: 24 April 2014 | 
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporterEmail reporter

A 27-year-old man involved in a vicious group attack on a Colwyn Bay drug dealer and a knifepoint hold-up at a newsagent’s was jailed for life.

Patrick Wood, of no fixed address, must serve a minimum of ten years behind bars.

Wood changed his plea to guilty of wounding 23-year-old Alieu Jasseh at a property in Bay View Road at Colwyn Bay, with intent, in March last year.
He also pleaded guilty to attempted robbery of the shop in May.

Caernarfon crown court heard he ran off when the shopkeeper picked up a pair of scissors.

In addition Wood admitted two burglaries, one of them at the home of an 82-year-old Colwyn Bay widow whose engagement ring was stolen.

Judge Merfyn Hughes QC told him: “You don’t care about the effect you have on your victims.”

Three other men and a woman were also jailed a fortnight ago for what the judge described as a “merciless and cowardly” attack on Mr Jasseh.

Masked or hooded assailants had been armed with a Samurai sword, axe and three baseball bats - one with numerous nails driven through to inflict maximum damage.

Judge Hughes said Wood had an axe and arranged for Mr Jasseh to visit the property where a “vicious” attack was launched which could have cost him his life.

Wood, Mathew MacKenzie, aged 24, of Coed Aben, Wrexham, and Denise Jones, 28, formerly of Conwy Road, Colwyn Bay, pleaded guilty to affray after a rumpus in the middle of the night on May 19 outside the probation service offices in Conwy Road at Colwyn Bay.

MacKenzie also admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm after punching a man during the trouble and causing two fractures of the jaw which needed surgery and left the victim with nerve damage.

In addition he twice drove while banned at Wrexham, and on one of those occasions drove dangerously as he fled police.

He was locked up for 43 months and banned for three years with an extended test.

Judge Hughes said Wood and MacKenzie had been “lurking around” Colwyn Bay, intending to attack someone.

MacKenzie struck a “forceful and cowardly” blow and the victim couldn’t follow a career in the army as a result of what happened to him.

Jones received an eight months suspended jail term and must do 240 hours unpaid work.

The judge told her: “You have an appalling record for what looks to me a history of quite indiscriminate violence.”

The court heard drunken Jones was seen fighting in the street.

She was hit and then swung her arm with the intention of punching her assailant.

It was only when she connected with the young woman’s head that Jones realised she still held a bottle of vodka which smashed.

Her counsel said she had reduced her drinking and since moved back to Old Colwyn and got a job.

No comments: